Nothing is more important to us than protecting the private information of our visitors. Our web sites adhere to a strict policy for ensuring the privacy of you and your family’s personally identifiable information (such as full name, address, e-mail address, telephone number) and preserving the integrity of this online medium. Gathering and Use of Information
- We will not collect personally identifiable information from you, other than what you supply to us on a voluntary basis.
- To participate in some activities, you might be asked to provide some personally identifiable information. This could be in connection with, or include, the following:
- contest or sweepstakes registration
- subscription registration for sites or services which require subscription (such as e-mail newsletters)
- shopping transactions and/or online pledging
- content submissions, community postings (i.e., forums or bulletin boards), comments and suggestions, surveys, voting
- UNC-TV will not willfully disclose your personal information to any third party without first receiving your permission.
- UNC-TV may use your personally identifiable information for activities explained above, for internal and marketing promotional purposes.
- We will always explain the extent of its use at the time you are asked to provide personal information. If you do not want this information to be collected or used by us for these purposes, you can simply "opt out."
UNC-TV utilizes special software to track user activity on our site. This software is called a "cookie." Cookies contains no information about you—only a unique number with no meaning whatsoever outside of UNC-TV. UNC-TV uses this number to track the exposure of various areas of the service, specialized content offering, restricted forums and other online activities to determine future content.
UNC-TV does not know the name, e-mail address, phone number, or home address of anybody who visits the UNC-TV site. At no time does the cookie reveal above information (even if you have entered information in other areas of the UNC-TV site). You always have the option of opting out of volunteering information.
Because UNC-TV has special web sites for children such as the Kids Club site, UNC-TV must follow additional guidelines. We believe the following promises will improve the safety, value, and enjoyment of your child's visits to our site and our affiliated sites.
- We will not collect personally identifiable information from your child.
- If your child sends us an e-mail with a question or comment, or enters one of our contests, we will respond using his or her e-mail, but will not store it for future communications.
- If we know that your child is under the age of thirteen, we will collect your permission offline (by postal mail, fax or phone) before we mail any prizes or share your child's personal information with anyone else.
- If your child submits stories, artwork, comments or anything else to us which is posted at our site, he or she will be identified only by first name, age and state.
You and your child's use of this site are conditioned on your having accepted these terms. You should check back at this policy frequently, since it is subject to change from time to time. Your continued use of UNC-TV’s Web site following the posting of any changes to these terms shall mean you have accepted these changes. If you have any questions or concerns regarding above policies, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rules of UNC-TV’s Web site
The following rules govern the use by you of UNC-TV’s Web site. The rules set forth herein apply to all materials, online communications and other information that is or becomes available on UNC-TV’s Web site. By signing on and using UNC-TV, you specifically agree to abide by these rules and any modifications thereto.
1. Personal Uses
You shall not post, publish, transmit, reproduce, distribute or in any way use or exploit any UNC-TV Web site information for commercial purposes or otherwise use the Information in a manner that is inconsistent with these rules and regulations.
2. User's Obligation to Abide By Applicable Law
In connection with the use of UNC-TV’s Web site, you shall abide by all applicable federal, state or local laws, including those pertaining to such areas as libel, slander, defamation, trade libel, product disparagement, harassment, invasion of privacy, tort, obscenity, indecency, and copyright or trademark infringement ("Applicable Law"). The Information available on UNC-TV’s Web site may include intellectual property that is protected under the copyright, trademark and other intellectual property laws of the United States and/or other countries ("Intellectual Property Laws"). Such Intellectual Property Laws generally prohibit the unauthorized reproduction, distribution or exhibition of all text, photographic and graphic (art and electronic) images, music, sound samplings and other protected materials. The violation of applicable Intellectual Property Laws may give rise to civil and/or criminal penalties.
3. Disclosure of Online Communications
You are cautioned that any online communications may not be fully confidential. In addition, you should be aware that federal postal regulations do not protect electronic mail. You should be aware that some administrative personnel of UNC-TV may, in the course of their regular duties, have access to communications for technical or operational purposes. UNC-TV may also disclose any communications to the extent permitted or required by law.
4. Prohibition Against Rogue Programming
You shall not post, transmit or make available in any way through UNC-TV’s Web site any software or other materials which contain a computer virus, Trojan horse, time bomb, worm or other rogue programming ("Rogue Programming"). UNC-TV has no obligation to detect the presence of any Rogue Programming. Any downloading of software or other materials or any other use of the Information on UNC-TV is at your risk, and you are advised to take adequate precautions to minimize any loss to your system caused by Rogue Programming, including use of anti-virus programs and proper backup of files.
5. Disclaimer of Warranties
UNC-TV’s Web site is provided on an "as is" basis without warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including without limitation warranties of title, non-infringement, or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Neither PBS nor the member stations warrant that any information is complete or accurate, that UNC-TV’s web site will be uninterrupted or error free or that any information is free of rogue programming.
6. Limitation of Damages
Under no circumstances, including negligence, shall UNC-TV be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, punitive or consequential damages that may result from the use or inability to use UNC-TV’s Web site. Including, and without limitation, the use of, or reliance on, information available on UNC-TV’s Web site, interruptions, errors, defects, mistakes, omissions, deletions of files, delays in operation or transmission, non-delivery of information, disclosure of communications, or any other failure of performance.
7. Release and Indemnity
You hereby release and waive any and all claims and/or liability against PBS and/or the member stations arising from or in connection with your use of UNC-TV’s Web site. You also agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless, PBS and the member stations, from and against, any and all claims or liability, including costs and attorneys fees, arising from or in connection with your use of UNC-TV’s Web site or failure to abide by applicable law.
8. Shopping on UNC-TV’s Web site
If you wish to make purchases in shopping on UNC-TV Web site, you may be asked to supply certain information, including credit card or other payment mechanism information. You agree that all information you provide for purposes of making purchases will be accurate, complete and current. UNC-TV may change prices or institute new prices at any time. You agree to pay all charges incurred by users of your account and credit card or other payment mechanism at the prices in effect when such charges are incurred. You also will be responsible for paying any applicable taxes and shipping/handling relating to purchases.
Thanks for watching and supporting UNC-TV!